Jan Steyn, Ph.D.
Jan is a translator and critic of literature written in Afrikaans, Dutch, English, and French. He holds a Ph.D. in Comparative Literature from Cornell University. His academic work focuses on translation theory, critical contemporaneity, and world literature. He is the editor of Translation: Crafts, Contexts, Consequences (Cambridge University Press 2022). And he is currently working on a monograph entitled World Literature for the Times: How Translations and Adaptations Create Contemporaneity.
- World Literature & Theories of World
- Literary Translation & Translation Theory
- Contemporary French & Francophone Literature
- African Literature (especially Francophone and South African)
- Global Anglophone Literature (including, as a matter of axiomatic principle, literature translated into English)